Don’t think you can’t travel-hack your nonprofit work travel!
I (Danny) have been working in the nonprofit sector in the United States for over 10 years. During that time, I’ve had various experiences with traveling for work. Some experiences were great, as I was able to explore different parts of the United States that I wouldn’t otherwise had gone to. Other experiences were terrible, being forced to stay at subpar hotels or not given flexibility to earn rewards from my travel spend. It’s important for you to understand that if you work in a nonprofit organization, or in a similar organization that doesn’t pay as much or is not as glamorous, you can still travel-hack! Below are all the tips I have to share with you so that you can travel-hack your future work trips. Of course, feel free to comment below on your hacks too – I can’t possible have discovered all of them!
TIPS TO TRAVEL-HACK YOUR FLIGHTS
- ADD YOUR LOYALTY NUMBER – Don’t feel bad for adding your loyalty number. How do you think these business travelers get all these miles? 🔢
- STICK TO ONE AIRLINE OR ALLIANCE – Do this to maximize the # of miles you collect, and it avoids spreading the miles you earn between different airlines/alliances. 🛫
- USE YOUR OWN CREDIT CARD💳 – Always try to get reimbursed for your travel spend! Easy way to gain points/miles. 📈
- AVOID BOOKING THROUGH OTAs – Your work might want the cheapest flight, but COVID has proven how OTAs like Priceline can be a pain to cancel/reschedule tickets. Book thru the airline to earn your miles! 🤑
- MAKE IT A WEEKEND TRIP – If your work trip will take multiple days, try to fly on a Thursday/Friday and come back on Monday. Explore the destination on Saturday/Sunday! 😎
- DON’T FLY RED-EYE – Your employer should respect your personal time. Their emergency is not your urgency! 🙃
- GET YOUR WORK TO GET YOU TSA/CLEAR – Its a win/win for you and your employer – you spend less time in line and stress less before you arrive to your meeting!
TIPS TO TRAVEL-HACK YOUR HOTELS
- ADD YOUR LOYALTY NUMBER – Don’t feel bad for adding your loyalty number. How do you think these business travelers get all these points? 🔢
- STICK TO ONE HOTEL GROUP – Do this to maximize the # of points you collect, and it avoids spreading the points you earn between different hotel groups. 🏨
- USE YOUR OWN CREDIT CARD 💳 – Always try to get reimbursed for your travel spend! Easy way to gain points/miles. 📈
- STACK WITH A SHOPPING PORTAL – Book your hotel stay thru a shopping portal to stack up on the points/miles you can earn! 🛍 Even when using the company credit card!
- BOOK THRU AN AIRLINE PORTAL – If you are focused on earning specific airline miles, search for rooms thru their hotel portal! 💡
- HOTELS.COM FTW – @hotelsdotcom or @rocketmiles are great alternatives to earning rewards from your hotel stays in case you can’t stick with one hotel group. 😎
- NO MOTEL 6 – Your employer should respect you as a professional. Understandable to save money, but a clean and safe room should be non-negotiable! ⚠️
TIPS TO TRAVEL-HACKING YOUR DINING AND OTHER TIPS
- USE YOUR OWN CREDIT CARD 💳 – Always try to get reimbursed for your travel spend! Easy way to rack up points/miles. 📈
- USE A DINING PORTAL 🥣 – You gotta eat! Might as well earn extra points/miles on your food spend while on your work trip.🤤
- USE A PORTAL FOR CAR RENTALS – Use an airline or shopping portal to book your car rental to earn additional points/miles to your airline/hotel account.🚗
- ESTABLISH BOUNDARIES – Your work hours stay the same. Don’t overwork just because you are on a work trip.⏰
- HIT THE GYM – Don’t slack on your health! Eat right and exercise if you get the chance.🏋️♀️ You can’t travel often and safely if you aren’t healthy! I try to find a soccer park and play some pick-up!
- EXPLORE – If possible, do some local tourism after work hours! You can also take breaks during your work hours to the corner coffee shop, park, or museum.🧳
Vamos viajando. The world needs to see us!